Another Metroidvania / Roguelite mashup project appeared in Steam today called Never Grave: The Witch and The Curse. The game is published by Pocket Pair Inc and developed by newly created internal development team Frontside 180 Studio. The game can now be wishlisted but a launch date is not available yet.
“Never Grave” is a new 2D action game that seamlessly blends elements from the Metroidvania and Roguelite genres. Taking inspiration from these genres, players will embark on battles against enemies in procedurally generated dungeons, overcome obstacles, and strive to defeat bosses. By harnessing the distinct possession mechanic centered around hats, players can gain control over enemies, empowering them to devise strategic combat approaches. Additionally, the game provides a deeper level of tactical gameplay through persistent character development, enabling players to enhance their abilities and craft diverse items through building and crafting.
A interesting prospect in this project is the fact that the game allows you to play with up to 4 players cooperatively, although the publisher isn’t specific about this mode being online or couch co-op only. The current streak of indie games not having online multiplayer, makes us worry a bit.
These are the features you can expect (from the press release):
- Game featuresMetroidvania x Roguelite with an emphasis on exploration.
- Sophisticated and tactilely designed player character controls.
- Possession system where hats can possess enemies and use their unique abilities.
- Traditional Japanese hand-drawn limited animation is used for character 2D animation.
- Thickly painted backgrounds with depth, as if you are travelling through a world of picture books and cut-out pictures.
- Learn actions such as double-jump from artefacts to explore new areas.
- Constantly changing play style depending on the synergy of “traits” associated with magic and items.Intense battles with tough bosses. It will take more than just memorizing boss patterns to defeat them without taking damage…
- Rebuild your village. Strengthen yourself through building and production to prepare for the next adventure.
- Explore different terrain each time you play through procedurally generated dungeons.Multiplayer support.
- Up to four players can delve into the dungeon together!